Saturday, May 7, 2011

Napoli, Sorrento, Capri!

Mi scuso per il blog ritardo! Two big traveling weekends have taken place in the last three weeks. This weekend we are relaxing in Siena and I am finally writing to my loyal readers.

Easter weekend April 21-24, my friends and I went to Napoli, Sorrento, and Capri. I woke from my sweet slumber at 4:30am to catch a 5:57 train. We had heard Napoli is not the safest of places, so our plan was to stop only for lunch, and then train on to Sorrento. If any of you didn’t know, Napoli is known world wide for their pizza. When we stepped out of the train station with hungry tummies, our eyes were immediately drawn to the streets strewn with trash. I am not completely educated on this issue, but basically there is a major garbage strike happening. Therefore, people have been burning and tossing their trash in the streets. Not the most pleasant of sights.

We went to the famous pizzeria called ‘Da Michele.’

The line was out the door, so we got it to go - four euro for a good sized ‘small’ personal pizza. While we were waiting for it, the pizza makers made a ruckus when they found out we were American.

One of the cooks had another customer take a big group picture. By the way, Eat Pray Love was filmed there and naturally I gave a nod to Julia’s picture on the wall.

We took our boxes to the curb and scarfed our pizza margherita! We thought about it the rest of the weekend.

Kaela threw her pizza box in a trashcan, but the man standing there started yelling and made her dumpster dive to retrieve it. While trash surrounded my ankles, and I could have easily tossed it on the ground, it’s the Oregonian in me to not want to litter, so I found another trashcan to dispose of it (even though it will end up in the street too).

After a very long travel day we made it to Sorrento.

We stayed at campgrounds called La Fortunata. The cabins were on cinder blocks, with a bunk, a cot, and a small bathroom-truly a step above camping. We met up with guys later that night that we had met in the train station, and small world one of them goes to UO.

Saturday we spent the day in Capri and it was one of the most memorable days I have had thus far on the trip!
A local man with leathered skin and an abundance of knowledge of his town, gave the eight of us a 15-euro private boat tour around the island.








Although it got a bit overcast, there was no denying Capri's beauty.











He took us into every grotto and pointed out everything, including hillside villas of Dom PĂ©rignon and Ferrari.


Orange Grotto.

It was the perfect day and no one wanted it to end (despite some feelings of sea sickness including yours truly). Then we hiked up a hill to restaurants, shops, and an incredible view. We ended up losing track of time and realized our ferry was leaving in five minutes.

So what did we do? We SPRINTED down the windy hill. Karly and I were in hysterics. Everyone stared at us like we were crazy Americans, but we made the ferry didn’t we? Sono Americana and proud of it!

Easter in Italia means less running buses and trains, and many more people traveling. While I didn’t go to church, and I didn’t have my chocolate eggs or Easter basket, I did wear my Easter dress. Just a different kind of year!

Mary, Karly, Anna and Kristin during one of our many train layovers of the weekend.

Then on our last train we met a 20-year-old German guy who we taught, ‘Teach Me How To Dougie.’ We are gathering some great footage; this video is going to be awesome. To end the day I got to be transported to Easter at my house in Portland, and I saw all my family members. Skype is such a blessing! Ciao per ora!

No comments:

Post a Comment